Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Vale Steve Irwin


It was with great sadness yesterday, that I learned of the passing of the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. I always thought Irwin was a true Aussie larrikin and what he lacked in eloquence and perhaps formal education, he made up for with enthusiasm and sincerity.

It is strange to think that virtually 6 years ago to the day, I was honeymooning at Port Douglas and snorkelling in the same area that Steve Irwin was attacked by the stingray. I read today that attacks such as these resulting in death are extremely rare and Irwin's case was one of only three ever in Australia and possibly only 17 in the world. I had been apprehensive about snorkelling in the area that day beacuse my husband had spotted a small shark and the water seemed to be brimming with all manner of creatures.

One hopes that his wife and children are able to cope with the tragedy and that something positive can come from his life and his environmental legacy. I spent a happy day at Australia Zoo about 18 months ago with my then 11 year old niece. Steve's face was everywhere on giant billboards and other large cut-outs.

Huge in America and at times seen as a bit of an embarrassment in his home country, Steve Irwin really was larger than life and in death a much treasured Australian icon. His lack of inhibition when it came to singing his wife's praises was touching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home