Monday, October 18, 2004

Lost in Suburbia

As a member of a mother's group I am starting to realise that the only reason I still attend is because I fear that my son will miss out on interaction with other children and that it is a way to fill in a Thursday afternoon with out having to think of ways to amuse a boisterous toddler.

Is this a good enough reason to still remain part of a group? Initially I went along because as a new mum I felt like I didn't have a huge clue about what I was supposed to be doing with a newborn. It was good to bounce ideas off other mothers and see how their children were developing.

Now I feel like I am totally coping with being a mother and I am unphased by the task. I really don't feel that the group offers me anything I don't already know. Besides that, if there was something I needed to know about in terms of medical conditions, childhood development etc, it would not be to the group that I would turn.

Organising an outing with some of the members is like extracting teeth. They are happy to sit in eachother's living rooms or backyards while the kids run riot and we drink cups of tea. I don't feel content with this anymore. I want o visit parks, playgrounds, activities.

Help!

2 Comments:

At 3:07 pm, Blogger Vijayalaxmi Hegde said...

Hi Fiona
Good blog. One of the rare ones that isnt narcisstic, or desperate to be funny. Keep writing.

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Fiona McNally said...

Thank you Vijayalaxmi. The more I attend these get togethers the more despondent I feel. My childless friends tell me to knock these excursions on the head and move on but when you have only one child you are limited in your capacity to mix withother kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home