Sunday, October 16, 2005

EastEnders - the best soap on cable



I used to be addicted to Eastenders when it was on the ABC back in the late '80's. I was dismayed when it was axed but delighted to get back into it when I got Foxtel in 2002. Because it's not your average soap where nothing ever happens, it took me at least 3 months of viewing to really catch up on what had been happening in the years I had missed. I went on line to try and fill in the blanks as well.

It was heaven to learn that not only is it on Foxtel every week night, but they have upped the half hour to one hour. Sometimes I get a back log of episodes as I have to tape them!

What makes it such compelling viewing? Definitely the quality of acting, the storylines and the clever dialogue. Like all long running programs, it does have a tendency to occasionally slip into the doldrums for an episode or two, but more often than not, it is exciting, tear jerking and hilarious. The fact that the writers have tried to recreate autrhentically a small part of the East End of London is evidenced by the cultural and racial mix amongst the characters, the market stalls, the dingy launderette and the grimy inner city setting.

My favourite characters of all time are:
Grant Mitchell - what a rogue
Phil Mitchell - some of the best episodes were when Phil lost his temper
Sharon Watts
- I was over the moon to see they had brought her back looking better than ever with her platinum hair extensions, fake tan and black clothes
Steve Owen- He was only in the show for a short time but the storylines he generated were great
Mel Owen - the show seemed to gains something when she was in it
Frank Butcher - the smooth talking conman was definitely an attribute
Kat Slater- I have liked her and felt repelled by her
Dennis Watts - dark, brooding and damaged and a murderer to boot
Den Watts- a great blast from the past
Paul Trueman - a gambler, drinker and smoker and a conman but there is something very likeable about him nonetheless
Dan Sullivan - added intrigue and thrills
Tiffany Mitchell - what a shame she copped it on New Year's Eve

Characters I can't cope with:

Little Mo - somebody give me a shot gun. She is high maintenance - whiny, stubborn and always making stupid decisions
Addy: Cowardly freak who is frightened of his father
Sam Mitchell - tarty and underhanded
Andy - why is that guy's mouth so small and his chin non-existent and what is it with that annoying try-hard voice?
Bianca Butcher - total fish wife
Sonia and Robbie Jackson - it was a relief when they got rid of ugly Robbie and his stupid personality. As for Sonia - she's always moaning and whining and complaining and is way too old before her time.

Coronation Street airs prior to Eastenders but somehow it just doesn't light my fire like EE. I don't mind The Street but I find it is often directed at an older audience and is not as fast paced or as risque as EE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home